Government Code Requirements & by Arvin Police Department Policy
- Age - Minimum age of 21 years. The reserve coordinator can authorize exceptions. Applications may be accepted at age 20 but no appointments will be made prior to 21st birthday.
- Background - Must have a desirable record - free from convictions by any state or by the federal government of a crime, the punishment for which could have been imprisonment in a federal penitentiary or a state prison.
- Must be fingerprinted for purposes of search of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record.
- No use of illegal substances within the last three years. No sales of any illegal substances whatsoever.
- Citizenship - Must be a citizen of the United States. Driver's License - A valid California Class "C" driver's license or the equivalent is required at the time of appointment.
- Education - Must be a high school graduate or pass the General Education Development test. A copy of the diploma or GED equivalent must be submitted.
- Health - After examination by a licensed physician, the applicant must be found to be in general good health, free from any medical, physical, or emotional impairment that would prevent you from performing the job of reserve officer.
- Hearing - Normal hearing acuity.
- Height and Weight - Weight in good proportion to height.
- Residence - Must live within a reasonable distance to the City. The Chief of Police can authorize exceptions.
- Vision - Visual acuity of not less than 20/100 (uncorrected) in each eye, corrected to 20/30 in each eye. No marked red-green deficiency or color vision. Each eye free from any abnormal condition or disease which might adversely affect the performance of duty.
How to Get Started
Sign up for the Basic Peace Officer Academy Module III.
Must successfully pass a fingerprint check through the California Department of Justice and meet the entry requirements established by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) for this course.