City Clerk


City Hall staff is available via phone at (661) 854-3134 or via email at


To file a claim, please complete the following Claim Form and submit via email to or mail to City of Arvin, City Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 548, Arvin, CA 93203.  Please complete the form in full.

To file a complaint, please complete the following Complaint Form and either email the form to or mail the form to City of Arvin, City Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 548, Arvin, Ca 93203.  You may instead email the following information to

  1. Your Name:
  2. Your Phone number:
  3. Your Address:
  4. Date(s) of Incident:
  5. The specific nature of your complaint: (Please give as many details as possible).

To file a request to fill pothole(s), you may call City Hall at (661) 854-3134 or send an email to with the following information:

  1. Your Name:
  2. Your Phone number:
  3. Address / Location of Pothole(s):

Dog licensing is suspended until further notice. For dog license renewals due within the period of March 19, 2020 through the date City Hall re-opens, the City of Arvin will not assess late fees during this time.

If your pet’s license was due prior to March 19, 2020 and the fee was not paid during the 30-day grace period, the fee including late fee will be assessed once City Hall re-opens.

Please note: The City of Arvin requires a valid rabies certificate for dog licensing and we recommend that all pet owners maintain the required vaccinations for your pet(s) as recommended by your Veterinarian.

Business Licenses will not be issued until further notice. Fees for business license renewals that were due by January 31, 2020 are considered late.   Late fees will apply and will be assessed once City Hall re-opens.

All completed business license applications for calendar year 2020 that were submitted to the City Clerk’s Office and paid in full have been processed and issued. If you have submitted a renewal application for calendar year 2020 and you have not yet received your City of Arvin Business License, the City may not have obtained either your payment of fees due, a signature on the application, or other pertinent information on the application.  These items may be submitted to the City of Arvin once City Hall re-opens however, late fees will still apply if payment was not received by January 31, 2020.

If you are no longer conducting business within the City of Arvin, please print and complete the Notice of Business License Cancellation Form and forward this form to the City Clerk’s Office, as soon as possible, to: City Hall, Business Licensing, P.O. Box 548, Arvin, CA 93203.

FACILITY RENTALS & SPECIAL EVENTS (including Arvin Veteran’s Hall, Adobe Plaza Suite Y, and all City Parks) :

All reservations for City facilities and all Special Events have been suspended. No new reservations may be made at this time.

Arvin City Council Meeting Agendas and Other Public Records (click here to view online)

To obtain copies of public records, you may mail, fax or email a Public Records Request form to:

Cecilia Vela, CMC
City Clerk
City of Arvin – City Hall
200 Campus Drive
P.O. Box 548
Arvin, CA 93203
Fax: 661-854-0817

Email your request to:

Download Public Records Request Form / Solicitud Para Examinar o Copiar Registros Públicos

To provide your request for copies of public records via phone, you may call the City Clerk’s Office at (661) 854-3134.


Cecilia Vela, City Clerk


The City Clerk’s Office is the central hub of the City of Arvin.

The City Clerk maintains records of City Council proceedings; processes and preserves official City records; serves as Municipal Elections Officer and filing officer for Campaign Statements and serves as the Secretary and provides administrative support to the City Council, all City Boards and the City Manager; processes and provides responses and/or correspondence related to claims and complaints; and provides municipal services to the community such as business licensing, dog licensing and rental of City facilities. 

As Custodian of Records, the City Clerk serves as the official record filing center for all City records including but not limited to agendas, resolutions, ordinances, agreements, and minutes.  In addition, the City Clerk processes and provides responses to requests for copies of or information regarding all official City documents. 

Local Appointments List (Maddy Act)

Business Licensing

Business Licenses can be purchased at the City Clerk’s Office at the address listed above.  It is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling or occupation in the City of Arvin without first having procured a license from the City to do so or without complying with any and all applicable provisions of the Arvin Municipal Code.

Business License Application renewals and fees are due annually on January 1st.  A penalty fee of 50% of the original fee applies if the appropriate fee is not paid within 30 days.  If the new total fee is not paid within another 30 days, an additional penalty of 100% of the original fee will be added.  New applicants filing for licenses after July 1st will be charged 50% of the otherwise applicable fee.

Download Business License Application

Business License Fee Schedule

For Businesses Located In Arvin
$54.00   Businesses with five (5) or less employees
$104.00 Businesses with six (6) to twenty-four (24) employees
$254.00 Businesses with twenty-five (25) or more employees

For Businesses Located Outside of Arvin
$54.00  All businesses located outside Arvin

Please note:  Issuance of a business license does not allow you to engage in a business whose operation would be in violation of other City Ordinances.  Chapter 5.04 of the City of Arvin Municipal Code states that licenses are subject to all City regulations, state & other regulatory agencies, including those pertaining to health and safety, use of property, and zoning.  You are urged to check with the appropriate City Departments and other regulatory agencies for further information about these regulations prior to paying for your license(s).


Dog Licensing

Dog licenses can be purchased at the City Clerk’s Office at the address listed above. (661) 854-3134

Please note: Proof of your dog’s current rabies vaccination is required to obtain a license.  Proof of your dog’s sterilization certificate is required to obtain the altered dog license fee.  Please bring these documents with you to City Hall when licensing your dog.

License Fees:
Altered (Spayed/Neutered)
1 year = $15.00
2 year = $22.00
3 year = $30.00

1 year = $25.00
2 year = $40.00
3 year = $60.00

Late Fee = $10.00

Resolution Establishing Fees for Animal Control, Licensing and Regulation

Contact Information:

City of Arvin Dog Licensing – (661) 854-3134
Arvin Animal Control Officer – (661) 854-5583

Is your dog missing?  Click here for further information from the Animal Control web page.

Rental of City Facilities

The following City facilities are available to rent by the public:
Arvin Veteran’s Hall
Adobe Plaza Suite Y
Smothermon Pavilion
Smothermon Park Soccer Field
DiGiorgio Park Baseball Field

An application is available at the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 200 Campus Drive, Arvin, CA.

A completed application and all fees must be provided a minimum of six (6) weeks prior to the date of a scheduled and booked event/meeting.  A deposit is required and due at the time of reservation.  Additional information may be obtained by contacting the City Clerk’s Office at (661) 854-3134.

Election Information

Notice of Election / Aviso De La Elección – Nov 2018

Resolution – A Measure Relating to a Utility Users Tax and a Measure Relating to a Commercial Cannabis Tax

Measure L and Measure M Resolution

Measure L Informational Brochure

The Municipal Elections are held in November of even numbered years and are consolidated with the Kern County Elections Department. The elective officers of the City consist of a City Council made up of four Councilmembers and a directly elected Mayor.  Elected officers serve “at large,” representing the entire community, rather than a particular district.  The Mayor and the City Council are elected to four-year overlapping terms.  There are no limits to the number of terms they may serve.

Anyone who is 18 years of age and who is a resident and registered voter in the City of Arvin may run for a seat on the City Council.

The nomination period opens in mid July of election years and appropriate papers to file and run for office may be obtained from the City Clerk.  Potential candidates may call the City Clerk’s office at (661) 854-3134 to schedule an appointment for an orientation meeting to obtain the documents prior to the filing period to run for office.  Potential candidates are required to gather twenty valid signatures of registered Arvin voters on a mandatory nomination form supplied by the City Clerk.  Candidates who wish to have a statement of their qualifications published in the sample ballot, which is mailed to all registered voters, must pay their share of the publishing/printing costs.

Based on an established schedule, candidates must file statements reporting all campaign contributions and expenditures for the designated time period.  These reports are available in the City Clerk’s Office for public review.

More Information
Click on the link below to obtain further information from the Kern County Elections Department regarding where to register to vote or for on-line voter registration.


FPPC Form 806 – Public Official Appointments

Campaign Disclosure Forms and Filings

Political Reform Act Campaign Disclosure Requirements and Filings

Since 1974, California has had in place a campaign finance disclosure law requiring candidates and committees to make public their contributions and expenditures. All local elected officeholders, candidates for local elected offices, and committees in support or opposed to local candidates are required to file their campaign disclosure reports with the City Clerk at specified intervals.

In general terms, the Forms include:

Form 470, Officeholder and Candidate Campaign Statement Short Form:
A candidate who does not anticipate raising or spending more than $2,000 may file a 470 “Short” Form to indicate his or her candidacy. If a candidate does not intend to raise or spend more than $2,000, this may be the only campaign finance reporting form they are required to file.

Form 501, Candidate Intention Statement:
The Form 501 indicates a candidate’s intent to seek elected office and that he or she intends to raise or spend more than $2,000 in doing so. It must be filed prior to the solicitation or receipt of any contribution, or the expenditure of any personal funds used for an election.

Form 410, Statement of Organization Recipient Committee:
A campaign committee must file a Form 410 within 10 days of raising or spending $2,000. The Form 410 indicates the candidate for which the committee was formed, the name and address of the campaign committee, the treasurer and the location (bank name and address) of the committee’s bank account.

Form 460, Recipient Committee Campaign Statement:
At semi-annual intervals during the year and more regularly prior to Election Day, candidates must file a Form 460 outlining the manner in which they raise and spend money in pursuit of elected office. The Form 460 indicates the name, address, occupation and employer of contributors as well as the name, address and purpose for which payments have been made. It also outlines how much was raised and spent during that specific reporting period and in total for the calendar year. Detailed itemization is required for contributions received from a single source totaling $100 or more; expenditures of $100 or more; accrued expenses of $100 or more; and miscellaneous increases to cash of $100 or more. The law does not allow addresses to be posted online, however that information may be available from the City Clerk’s Office located at City Hall, 200 Campus Drive, Arvin.

Form 700, Statement of Economic Interests
The Political Reform Act requires most state and local government officials and employees to publicly disclose their personal assets and income. They also must disqualify themselves from participating in decisions which may affect their personal economic interests. The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) is the state agency responsible for interpreting the law’s provisions. Copies of the forms for all City filers are available in the City Clerk’s Office located at City Hall, 200 Campus Drive, Arvin. They are also available at the FPPC, 428 J Street, Suite 620, Sacramento, CA 95814 and in electronic format on the FPPC’s website.

If you would like more information, you may call the City Clerk’s Office at (661) 854-3134.