Mayor Jose Gurrola
As an Arvin native, Mayor Jose Gurrola has spent more than four years on the Arvin City Council advocating and promoting best practices in public policy that will:
- Bring good paying jobs to the City of Arvin;
- Attract new local businesses and build wealth from within the city limits;
- Promote increased economic development and private investment;
- Partner with educational institutions at all levels to improve opportunities for youth and young adults;
- Increase public safety and the community’s cooperation and partnership with the Police Department;
- Improve the City’s natural environment including air and water quality; and
- Seek funding to improve the City’s roads, parks, and recreational opportunities for all ages.
Specifically, a few of Jose’s recent public policy accomplishments include:
- Successfully championing a Bakersfield Community College satellite campus in Arvin;
- Overseeing the recent completion of the DiGiorgio Action Park; and
- Prioritizing funding for the completion of the first phase of the City’s new Town Center including the Walnut Avenue Extension and the Garden in the Sun Park.
In addition to his service on the Arvin City Council, Jose also serves on the Boards of the Kern Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) and the Kern Council of Governments (COG).
A strong advocate of youth services, Jose’s past experience also includes administering youth programs and public policy advocacy for the Boys & Girls Club of Bakersfield.
Jose has been featured in numerous news articles and stories throughout the greater Central Valley region including the Bakersfield Californian, Kern Golden Empire, South Kern Sol, Bakersfield Now and the Arvin Tiller.
Jose graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a minor in Economics from California State University Bakersfield. He also received the President Scholar award and is a member of Pi Alpha Alpha and Alpha Chi Honor Societies.